When it comes to app development, there are lots of choices to be made. And, to make that choice even harder, things are always changing. Technology evolves as quickly as the expectations of your users. To get the most out of Kotlin, you need a dedicated team with the perfect mix of experience and expertise. Only then can you get the best return from your investment.
What is Kotlin Development?
Kotlin is an open-source programming language with cross-platform capabilities. It first appeared in 2011, but didn’t receive much attention initially. However, after its first official 1.0 release in February 2016, it was soon backed by Google. In 2017 the tech giant officially announced its support for Kotlin and catapulted it into the limelight.
While Kotlin is primarily focused on Android, the programming language also supports multiple platforms, including iOS and desktop. Kotlin is easy to learn and can be used to develop scalable, high-performance apps.
What Can You Build With Kotlin
- Server-side – Kotlin is completely compatible with Java Virtual Machine (JVM), enabling any existing frameworks to be used for backend development.
- Desktop Development – any Java UI framework like JavaFx or Swing can be used as well as Kotlin-specific frameworks.
- Native Development – Kotlin Native compiles Kotlin to native code that can run without a virtual machine. It supports Android, iOS, macOS and more.
Of course, as the language was initially focused on Android, Android applications are the most popular option. In fact, it is the power behind many popular apps from big brands. Among the most well-known is the communication platform Slack, the streaming platform Netflix and the travel platform TripAdvisor.
What To Look For in a Kotlin Developer
If you’re looking for a Kotlin developer for your next project, it’s worthwhile having an idea of their roles and responsibilities. While these will be similar to those of standard Android developers, they also need a good knowledge of Kotlin. Consider asking any potential developer whether they can:
- Design and develop modern, secure and feature-rich applications from scratch
- Translate requirements into designs and wireframes
- Collaborate with design and test teams to ensure high performance
- Deliver high-∂quality code and continually evaluate their work
- Implement new technologies that enhance development
- Test code, identify and fix bugs
- Implement security measures that ensure compliance
- Ensure apps have robust backend integration
Of course, it may pay to look for a Kotlin development company rather than an individual developer. While you’ll need to ensure you have the skills above covered by experienced Kotlin developers, you’ll also want to look at the company as a whole. Look for proof of quality development, experienced quality assurance and high client retention. You’ll also want to think about what support and maintenance you’ll get to ensure continued product development, scalability and agility.
The Process of Hiring a Kotlin Developer
If you’ve narrowed down your search for a Kotlin developer, then it’s worth knowing the hiring process. If you’ve decided to take on a new team member to compliment your existing internal team, this will depend on your company’s policies and procedures. However, if you’re looking at an app development agency, then the process will probably follow four key stages:
- Quotation – expect a potential company to take some time doing market analysis, feasibility checks and cost and time estimations. More work spent preparing your quote demonstrates their commitment to getting it right and giving you the best value for money.
- Planning – this is when you’ll get into the nitty-gritty of requirements planning. This stage will involve initial designs and sprint plannings to set out the timeframe for development and what you can expect along the way.
- Development – this is when the work really gets going. The development team will work on building, documenting and testing your application to ensure it works perfectly.
- Support – your project shouldn’t end once your application is live. Support and maintenance should cover software updates and adding custom features.
The Benefits of Developing with Kotlin
If you’re considering Kotlin for your next development project, then you’re certainly not alone. With support from Google, it is becoming increasingly popular with companies worldwide. Some of the key advantages include:
- Interoperability – Kotlin offers full interoperability with Java, one of the most popular development languages.
- Easy to learn – Kotlin is very user-friendly and has an intuitive syntax. What’s more, it is continuously being improved.
- Less code – Kotlin is compact and concise and eliminates redundant code to help optimise the code writing process and avoid repetition.
- Community Support – Kotlin has a large and supportive community, which is growing rapidly.
- Multi-Platform – Kotlin can be used for any type of development, whether it’s server-side or client-side, web, Android or iOS.
- Flexible – Kotlin gives developers the choice to work in their chosen style with both object-oriented and functional constructs.
With so many benefits behind it, Kotlin is certainly here to stay. It looks set to receive even more support, grow its community further and evolve into one of the most popular programming languages. If you use it for your next project, as long as you’ve got an experienced Kotlin development team on board, you can’t go far wrong.