When it comes to developing an app, you are probably most interested in what it is going to cost you. Unfortunately, there is no clear answer to that. The cost comes down to a combination of your technical requirements, your target audience, the complexity of the app and your long-term business goals. However, even once you’ve worked that out, chances are you’ll receive a variety of different quotes from app developers. This is why it’s essential to understand what impacts the cost of app development. You need to understand what an app developer or app development company is really offering you. It’s not about what you spend, after all, it’s about ensuring that you derive value from that investment. Find the right app development company and you will see a return on investment and business growth.
What Impacts the Cost of App Development Services?
First and foremost, as you’re probably aware, building and launching an app isn’t a simple task. You need technical expertise and industry awareness to optimise costs. With this in mind, there are several factors that influence the cost of mobile app development:
- Complexity – the feature set will have a major impact on the cost of building a mobile app. Basic features will take less time to build, whereas complex features will need more time. Push notifications, chatbots, advanced analytics and third-party integrations will all push the price up. That’s not to say they aren’t worth the investment, but it’s vital to make sure that they actually add the intended user value and aren’t just nice-to-haves.
- Platform – you may want to develop an app for a specific platform, iOS or Android, for example, or you may want your app to be available across as many platforms as possible. The cost varies greatly if you develop individually for each application compared to using a cross-platform development framework that shares code across iOS, Android, Windows, web and desktop.
- UI/UX Design – how your app looks and how users engage with it are both crucial to its success. The number of screens and graphic elements will impact development time and cost. Some of these elements may be available in ready-to-use templates, whereas others may require custom design, again impacting cost.
- Infrastructure – as well as the front-facing part of your app, you’ll need to consider the backend infrastructure. This enables the app to communicate with data sources to maintain business logic and analyse and store data. You can use ready-made backed solutions or custom cloud servers, depending on the flexibility and scalability needed.
- Security – when it comes to the collection and storage of data, security is fundamental. You must follow security best practices which will be dictated by the type and intended user interaction of your app.
- Maintenance – as long as your app is up and running, you need to maintain and update it. You need to be able to fix any bugs or issues that occur, so you may need regular technical assistance from your app developers. What’s more, you may need to upgrade to the latest versions of software, add new features and functionalities or scale the app architecture.
When you look at it like this, you can easily see how costs can escalate. However, building a mobile app can be incredibly lucrative. App development should be an investment; ensuring that you see a return is crucial.
What Are The Different Types of App Developers Australia?
Today, with the surge in low-code development platforms, app developers can come in all shapes and sizes. You can hire freelancers, remote employees or outsource work to app development companies. However, each of these comes with its own pros and cons:
- Freelancers – freelancers offer a quick and cost-efficient way to gain access to knowledge and skills. However, they are probably best suited to small and simple app development projects. You will need to consider management, security and how engaged and invested they will be in your project.
- Employees – instead of looking to outsource a developer role, you could employ someone to join your IT team. By doing this, you can gain more in-house knowledge. However, it will depend on the complexity of your project and the other resources you’re able to commit internally. What’s more, you’ll need to consider what you’ll do if your new recruit is unwell or leaves the company.
- Agencies – by hiring an app development agency, you get more than a single developer; you have an entire team to work on your project. This gives you a range of skill sets, new tools and technologies and a dedicated resource to keep your project on track at all times.
As the size of your app development team impacts cost too, an agency will cost more than an individual developer or freelancer. However, you need to consider the roles and their importance in the overall success of your project. Things like project management, quality assurance and testing certainly can’t be overlooked if you want everything to run smoothly. What’s more, skilled professionals quite simply cost more. However, they’ll also be able to work faster and dive straight into the complexity of your app.
How To Evaluate Quotes From App Development Companies
When comparing quotes, it can be tempting to simply pick the lowest price. However, that is rarely the best approach. A low quote can be risky; you need to ensure that they understand your requirements and will deliver everything on time and to budget. What you really need to compare is the difference between money spent and value created. When it comes to evaluating any quote, ask yourself:
- Does the app developer have the right skills and experience?
- Will I have access to the latest tools and technologies?
- Do their previous clients have good things to say about them?
- Are they focused on building apps or building solutions to problems?
- What support will I have moving forward?
- Can I afford the investment?
By asking yourself these sorts of questions, you can start to really get a feel for what your quote includes. Only then can you really compare like for like to find the best fit for your company and project.
How to Find the Best Value App Development Company Australia
Comparing quotes isn’t easy due to the huge volume of variables. However, once you’ve made sure that a developer has the right skills and experience to do the job, it can come down to gut instinct. An app won’t be developed overnight, so you want to ensure you can communicate and work well with any company you engage with. Moreover, you don’t want them to just build what they’re told to. You want to find an Australian app development company that is invested in your business goals, that wants to see you succeed and will help you to ensure that is exactly what happens.